Montefalco and Bevagna
Montefalco encloses an important heritage of art that makes it an essential point of reference to understand Umbrian painting, starting from the church museum of San Francesco , constructed for the Minor Friars between 1335 and 1338. The museum is laid out in three exhibition spaces: the ex-church, known the world over for the fresco cycle painted by Benozzo Gozzoli between 1450 and 1452 that depicts the Life of Saint Francis, and where there is also displayed a Natività by Perugino (early 16 th century), and frescoes by the Umbrian school; the Art Gallery with works by Francesco Melanzio, Antoniazzo Romano and the Umbrian school from the 1300s to 1700s; and the crypt with archaeological findings, sculptures and pieces from various eras. The Town Hall, Palazzo Comunale , was constructed in 1270, then embellished with a loggia. Across the square is the small church of S. Maria de Platea one of the oldest buildings in town. Also worthy of a visit is the Romanesque church of San Bartolomeo; the nearby gate, Porta di Federico II, from 1244; and the church and convent of Santa Chiara with 14 th century paintings by the Umbrian school. In the vicinity stands the church of Santa Illuminata (16 th century) with side niches frescoed by Francesco Melandio; and the Convento di San Fortunato (15 th century) where the church was frescoed by Benozzo Gozzoli and Tiberio d’Assisi. The Montefalco district, together with the municipalities of Giano dell’Umbria, Gualdo Cattaneo, Bevagna and Castel Ritaldi, are part of the food and wine itinerary of the Sagrantino Wine Route, one of the most prestigious wines produced in Umbria.
Bevagna, formerly an Umbrian settlement, then become Roman with the passage of the ancient branch of the Via Flaminia, in 89 B.C. it became an important Roman municipium under the name of Mevania, even of greater extension then the following medieval Bevagna. Piazza Silvestri, is without any doubt one the most medieval squares of Umbria, of irregular shape, almost casual, with the most significant buildings facing the square. The Palazzo dei Consoli dates back to 1270 : it rises on top of a double-naved cross-vaulted open hall with Gothic arches; the front shows two rows of twin-windows and a large stair on the side leads to the great hall at the first floor. The fountain, though seeming to be of the 14th century, is instead a well realised imitation of the year 1889, matching perfectly with the square and its buildings, such as the Chiesa di S. Silvestro, built in 1195 by Master Binellus, according to the inscription on the right of the portal.On the other side of the square rises the Chiesa di S. Michele Arcangelo, also built by Master Binellus, with the aid of Master Rodolfus, and as well of the end of the 12th century. Very characteristic are the fortified Porta dei Molini, with the tower and the guard-room on top of the gate decorated with corbels and the near mill complex with the wash-house on the torrent. On the right side of Via di Porta Guelfa, inside a house have been discoverd the Roman Thermae. There are four rooms, three of which are only partly conserved, while the fourth shows a white and black mosaic with sea-life scenes (a triton chasing hippocampi, a lobster and squids).
In June there are Le Gaite festival about medival craftworks.